Best Home Gym Equipment 2023
With the best home gym, it is now possible for anyone to achieve their fitness goals, without going to a fitness center. Convenience is perhaps the most significant selling point of a home gym.
Home gyms also appeal to people who feel uneasy going to an actual gym or training facility. Beginners usually opt to get a home gym system because they feel comfortable working out at home.
This is not just for the amateur either, as even hardcore bodybuilders can have a complete home gym setup in their place of living.
We will cover the best home gym under $1000 and others at various price points.
In this guide, we'll review the top rated home gyms based on their different
exercises, resistance, price, overall quality, and more!
Let’s now take a closer look at these 10 top rated home gyms. Aside from considering the dimensions and max user weight capacity of the home gym sets, you should also think about your fitness level.
Other factors that can affect your decision are the ease of assembly and warranty of the unit.
Best Home Gyms on the Market
The Bowflex PR1000 home gym is designed to enable users to perform more than 30 strength exercises. It is a versatile, compact home gym that can target the chest, abs, shoulders and lower torso.
This small home gym is easy to assemble. Many reviews online suggest that it would take about an hour or so for it to be put together. It would have been nice, though, if the pieces like bolts and washers were in labeled bags for easier identification.
As an excellent piece of home gym equipment for beginners, the PR1000 provides up to 210 pounds of resistance. It also doesn’t require much space with a minimum workout area of 100 x 78 inches. People weighing as much as 300 pounds can use this all in one home gym.
This would also work well for experienced bodybuilders who want a home gym system in their places. The exercises in this machine can be upgraded. Accessories such as straight bars and tri pushdown bars can also be replaced in case of damage.
- It’s great for beginners as it provides simple exercises
- It does not require a lot of space at home
- Individuals weighing as much as 300 pounds can use it
- Its exercises can be upgraded
- Replacement accessories are readily available
- The parts are not labeled/numbered which can make assembly difficult
- Leg exercises aren’t that challenging especially for advanced users
- Users standing 6 feet tall may have difficulty performing strength training exercises
2. Bowflex Blaze Home Gym
One of the best rated home gyms today, the Bowflex Blaze Home Gym provides up to 60 exercises to its users. It is thus a great choice for beginners and advanced body builders as it targets practically every major muscle group in the body.
This machine measures 83 inches tall, 38 inches wide and 90 inches deep. It weighs about 195 pounds.
It’s a highly recommended unit for individuals looking to increase their power and develop their upper body muscles. It offers up to 210 pounds of resistance, which can be upgraded to 410 pounds. Indeed, this unit offers lots of room for strength training growth.
Unlike the other at home gym equipment from Bowflex, the Blaze can accommodate users who are up to 6 feet tall. Individuals who weigh as much as 300 pounds can also work out in this machine.
It also requires basically the same space, with a workout area of 96 inches (length) and 78 inches (width).
- Offers a lot of exercises that targets major muscle groups
- It offers up to 210 pounds of resistance, but can be upgraded to 410 pounds
- It can accommodate tall users
- Its maximum user capacity is 300 pounds
- It doesn’t need a lot of space
- Too many pieces that makes assembly quite difficult
- The chest exercises appear to be focusing on the arms and not the chest.
3. BodyCraft Galena Pro Home Gym
Making the list of the best home gyms is this 72 x 58 x 81 inch machine that weighs over 500 pounds. It can target major muscle groups with its exercises featuring leg extension, chest press, lateral pulls and abdominal crunches, among others.
This at home gym could be the perfect home gym for people with limited space in their homes. The unit measures 72 inches long, 58 inches wide and 81 inches height. It is one of the most compact home gyms in the market today.
This machine is well built and designed. It is made of heavy gauge steel tubing coated with electrostatic powder. It features two adjustable seats covered in vinyl and made of high density foam.
It can be used by big, tall individuals as it can accommodate people standing up to 6 feet tall and weighing no more than 300 pounds.
- It targets major muscle groups like legs, chest and abdominal muscles
- It is compact and space saving
- It is well built and designed
- It can be used by tall people
- Assembly can be a challenge because of the heavy pieces of the machine
- The seat appears to be too high for some users
4. Marcy Combo Smith Cage Machine
Get a home gym workout machine that doesn’t take up a lot of space in your house with this Marcy Combo Smith Cage Machine. It is not just a Smith machine but also a pull-up bar, a cable crossover, and a leg developer in one unit.
Shoppers looking for compact home gyms should have this unit in their short list. The cage, when assembled, measures 65 inches long, 79.25 inches wide and 84.5 inches tall. It has enough height clearance to accommodate tall people.
The assembled bench, on the other hand, measures 68.25 inches long, 26 inches wide and 45.5 inches deep. The bench can be used for various strength exercises.
Advanced body builders won’t be disappointed with the number of exercises offered on this machine. They can bulk up their upper body with the Smithstlye press bar and exercise their lower body with the leg developer.
This multi station home gym is made of 14-gauge square steel tubing. It also features safety functions like an adjustable back pad and a foot plate that can prevent injuries.
- It has enough height clearance for use of tall people
- It can target major muscle groups of the body
- It features safety functions like foot plate and adjustable back pad
- Strong and durable as it is made of 14-gauge square steel tubing
- Difficult to assemble with poor assembly instructions
- Doesn’t come with weights and lat pull down bar
5. Body-Solid G1S Selectorized Home Gym
One of the cheap home gyms that have been getting favorable reviews online, this unit is the newest model in the manufacturer’s stable of home gym systems. It is space saving and easy to use.
Many home gym reviews of this unit suggest that it doesn’t take up a lot of space. When assembled, the unit measures 49 inches long, 36 inches wide and 83 inches tall.
Advanced users will be in for a treat because this machine offers up to 40 exercises. It can target the shoulder and back with its pulley system, while the lower torso can be exercised with the leg extension and leg curl.
This machine comes with a 160 pound weight stack which is good, although it is not upgradable.
As a bonus, Body Solid adds a total workout DVD, a water bottle and towel holder, and pieces like lat bar and ankle strap to the package.
- Well built and should last for a long time
- It takes up a small space in the house
- It can provide up to 40 toning and muscle building exercises
- It comes with free accessories like water bottle and towel holder
- Press arm feature has a tendency to get in the way of the overhead pull-down
- Difficult to assemble
6. Body Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
A lot of people who’ve actually used it believe that the StrengthTech EXM2500S is the best at home gym equipment today. And it’s difficult to argue with them, considering the very solid features of this home gym machine.
First of all, this best compact home gym won’t eat up precious real estate at home. It is about 83 inches long, 51 inches wide and 83 inches tall. Interested buyers need not have high ceilings at home to be able to install this home gym.
This workout home gym is made from heavy duty 12-gauge steel that makes it very strong and durable. Users will also have their backs supported well by the machine’s thick pads that offer superior lumbar support.
Some of the exercises that this machine offers are chest press, leg extension, cable cross over, tricep extension, seated rows, standing curls and tricep extension and press down.
- It is very compact and space saving
- Made from heavy duty steel which makes it strong and durable
- It has thick pads to prevent back related injuries
- It targets major muscle groups of the body
- It doesn’t have a leg press option
- The parts were not properly labeled that makes assembly difficult
7. Powerline Body Solid
Many home gym equipment reviews point out a major issue with in home gym equipment—the difficulty of assembling the machine. Indeed, even models acclaimed to have the best home gym set up are not considered easy to assemble by most of its users.
The Powerline Body Solid machine is a lot different from small home gyms. It is designed to be easily put together by its users. The unit is shipped 90 percent assembled. Home bodybuilders can simply fasten nine bolts to put this machine together.
Aside from the ease of assembly, there are other reasons why this is considered by many people as the best at home gym today. It is made of 11-gauge steel which provides it with the strength and durability. It is also space-saving as it only measures 80 inches tall, 70 inches long and 42 inches wide.
This home gym cable machine offers 40 different exercises. The unit comes with a long 10-year warranty on the main frame and a one-year warranty on all other parts.
- It is easy to assemble
- It is strong and durable, made of 11-gauge steel
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space
- It provides up to 40 different exercises
- The cables aren’t that durable
- Short warranty on other parts of the machine
8. Total Gym XLS
For many people, the best equipment for home gym is one that is not intimidating. The Total Gym XLS may not be considered by some quarters as a full home gym but it can offer more than 80 exercises for cardio, strength training and stretching.
More importantly, it doesn’t look complicated or intimidating as the other at home gyms. In fact, the manufacturer says this home gyms exercise equipment can be used by children and seniors.
This is a total body home gym for anyone. It comes with bonus items like a 6 to 8 Minute workout guide DVD featuring 12 workouts for busy individuals and a Smart Training Workout plan designed to target specific muscles. There’s also an exercise wall chart that users can look up.
Unlike other home gym sets, this machine does not put a lot of pressure on the back. It can also replicate most home gym free weights exercises.
Finally, this affordable home gym is space-saving, too. It measures 19 inches wide, 90 inches long and 43 inches tall.
- It is compact and space saving
- It is designed for beginners
- It comes with numerous bonus items
- It doesn’t put too much pressure in the back
- Resistance is not constant and can only be adjusted in small increments
- The warranty period is short
9. Bayou Fitness Total Trainer
Like the item preceding it, this could be the best home gym machine for people who don’t have a lot of space in their homes. It measures just 24 inches wide, 50 inches long and 95 inches deep. Users weighing up to 500 pounds can use it.
This pulley home gym makes use of the user’s body weight for resistance training thus there is no need for free weights. There are 12 levels of resistance in this unit which means one won’t likely get bored using it.
Its monorail design is also fully assembled. Storing it is relatively easy because it folds and rolls. The manufacturer backs it up with a limited one year warranty on parts.
- It can support users who weigh as much as 500 pounds
- It offers 12 levels of resistance
- There is no need for free weights with this unit
- It is easy to store
- Rather short warranty period
Adjusting the levels of resistance is quite hard because one has to unscrew then screw the locking mechanism
10. VigorFit 3000 XL
In terms of exercises, this unit offers the most number of gym quality workouts—more than 107. It also includes free attachments and upgrades which makes it a very desirable single station home gym for people of all fitness levels.
Unlike other multi-station home gyms, this VigorFit machine is very easy to set up. It is even possible to set it up in one minute. It measures 84 inches long, 44 inches tall and 27 inches wide. It comes with wheels so it would be easy to transfer it from the storage to the place in the house where it will be set up.
Adjusting resistance levels is easy with the upward and downward adjustment on the vertical arm of the unit. The attachments such as the foot bar and upper bar are also easy to attach.
Individuals up to 350 pounds in weight and 6 feet 5 inches in height may be able to exercise using this best value home gym.
- It offers a lot of gym quality workouts
- It is very easy to set up
- It doesn’t take up a lot of space
- It has wheels for easier transport
- Adjusting the resistance levels is easy
- Ropes and pulleys tend to creak a lot / not smooth rolling
- The unit has some plastic parts which aren’t that durable
How To Buy a Home Gym: Things to Consider
In buying a home gym, there are several considerations that you have to mull over such as:
Size of the Machine
A good home gym is compact. There are no ifs and buts about it.
The dimension of the machine is something you should be aware of especially if you live in a small flat or apartment. Make sure that the unit would fit in the room where you plan to use it. The best compact home gym equipment can be folded up and placed in a corner when it is not being used.
Ease of Assembly/Setting Up
There’s no point in getting a home gym that would take you hours, if not days, to set up. Top rated home gyms are not only compact but also easy to set up, which is something every busy individual desires. The ideal home gym should come with clear assembly guide or instructions.
User Weight/Height Capacity
Check, too, the user weight and height capacity of the home gym equipment you are interested in before purchasing it. Most of the home gyms available today can support individuals who weigh up to 300 pounds. If you are on the heavy side, you need to get one that can accommodate users who weigh 500 pounds or even more.